Our Story (Sharon Lutheran Church)
Sharon Lutheran Church began with the congreation of Scandinavian immigrants, with formal organization taking place in 1889 and being officially incorporated on June 4, 1890.
The original church building was erected at 109 E. Sellar St. and was later sold to a group of Finnish Lutherans known as St. Paul's Lutheran Church in 1928.
The present church building was built that year under the leadership of the Rev. F.E.W. Kastman, who retired in 1951.
Over the years the church has consolidated with St. Paul's and most recently, entered into a shared ministry with All Saints in Wakefield and adopted a shared ministry logo of PSALM, Pastor Shared and Lay Ministry.
Our Story (All Saints Lutheran)
In 1892 the Finnish Lutheran Church was built and was located on Second Ave. in Wakefield.
In 1921 the Finnish Lutheran Church built a new brick building at 1202 Putnam St., which was later changed to the name of First Lutheran Church.
In 1964 the Church School wing was added onto the church.
In 1980 the First Lutheran Church merged with Immanuel Lutheran Church and became All Saints Lutheran Church. Immanuel Lutheran was widely attended by the Swedish population and located on PIerce St. from 1922 until its merger in 1980.
In 2014 All Saints Lutheran Church of Wakefield and Sharon Lutheran Church in Bessemer entered into a shared ministry and adopted a shared ministry logo of PSALM, Pastor Shared and Lay Ministry.